• 8,733 acres burned
• 40% contained
• Damage assessment in progress – initial estimate of 31 homes destroyed, 47 homes have been damaged and 2 outbuildings damaged
• Approximately 5,894 properties evacuated (mandatory evacuation orders); affects approx. 14,735 people
• More than 17,787 properties under evacuation warning; approx. 44,467 people affected
• Residences threatened – 3,500; commercial properties threatened – 100
• 4,321 personnel on scene: 498 engines, 104 crews
• 11 air tankers and 13 helicopters
• 18 firefighter injuries to date
• Cause under investigation: Tip line – 805-686-5074
• Air quality warning remains in effect
• Estimated costs to date $6.8 million
• Expected containment 5/13/09
The American Red Cross has placed its Emergency Shelter at Dos Pueblos High School on standby status as of 12 noon today through 12 noon tomorrow at which time it will be closed. Anyone in need of a safe place to stay due to the Jesusita Fire is encouraged to go to the Red Cross Emergency Shelter at the MAC Center on the UCSB Campus. This shelter will be open 24 hours a day until further notice. … The American Red Cross, Santa Barbara County Chapter will begin bulk distribution of free Clean-Up Kits, dust masks and water for those affected by the Jesusita Fire. The distribution will be held in the rear parking lot of the American Red Cross, Santa Barbara County Chapter headquarters at 2707 State Street Sunday, May 10, from 10 to 5 p.m.
JESUSITA FIRE EVACUATIONS:
THE UNIFIED COMMAND TEAM HAS DEVELOPED A PLAN FOR THE SAFE, STRUCTURED RETURN OF RESIDENTS TO THEIR HOMES AND BUSINESSES. THE CURRENT MANDATORY EVACUATION ORDER HAS BEEN DOWNGRADED TO AN EVACUATION WARNING FOR THE FOLLOWING AREAS:
AS OF MAY 9, 2009 (1:00 P.M.) – ALL RESIDENCES WITHIN THE FOLLOWING AREA: GARDEN AND MICHELTORENA, MICHELTORENA EAST, EXTENDING TO ALAMEDA PADRE SERRA (APS), ALAMEDA PADRE SERRA TO SYCAMORE CANYON ROAD, SYCAMORE CANYON ROAD (HWY 144) TO STANWOOD DRIVE (HWY 192), STANWOOD DRIVE (HWY 192) TO FOOTHILL ROAD (HWY 192), FOOTHILL ROAD (HWY 192) TO MISSION CANYON ROAD, MISSION CANYON ROAD TO LOS OLIVOS, LOS OLIVOS TO GARDEN STREET, GARDEN STREET SOUTH TO MICHELTORENA.
RESIDENTS OF THE ABOVE LOCATIONS MAY RETURN TO THEIR HOMES AND BUSINESSES. PLEASE REMEMBER THAT AN EVACUATION WARNING STILLS EXISTS IN THE AREA. RETURNING RESIDENTS AND BUSINESS OWNERS ARE CAUTIONED TO REMAIN AWARE OF THE POTENTIAL FOR AN EVACUATION ORDER ON SHORT NOTICE.
FOOTHILL ROAD (HWY 192) REMAINS CLOSED EXCEPT FOR EMERGENCY VEHICLE TRAFFIC ONLY.
AS A RESULT OF THIS REVISION, ALL AREAS SOUTH OF FOOTHILL ROAD/STANWOOD/HWY 192 ARE NOW WITHIN AN EVACUATION WARNING AREA.
ALL OTHER EXISTING MANDATORY EVACUATION ORDERS AND EVACUATION WARNINGS REMAIN IN EFFECT.
THE UNIFIED COMMAND IS CONSTANTLY EVALUATING THE SITUATION TO REPOPULATE AFFECTED AREAS.
• Highway 154 is closed at US Highway 101
• Road Closure Hotline – 805-568-3006
Evacuation Shelter Location:
• Multi-Activity Center
UC Santa Barbara at Mesa and Ocean Roads
Key Phone Numbers:
• County Jesusita Fire Call Center – 805-681-5197
• Evacuation Shelter (Red Cross) – 687-1331
• Animal Services Hotline – 805-681-4332
Everyone is advised to conserve water.
Public information kiosks have been set up at the following locations:
• Santa Barbara
o Paseo Nuevo (State and De La Guerra Streets)
o Loreto Plaza (State Street and Las Positas Road)
o Scolari’s Food Co. (222 North Milpas Street)
o Lazy Acres (302 Meigs Road)
o 1400 Block of East Valley Road (Lower Village), Montecito, CA
o Starbucks @ Camino Real, 7030 Camino Real Marketplace, Goleta, CA 93117
Animal Shelter Locations:
• Large animals: Earl Warren Showgrounds, 3400 Calle Real – Santa Barbara
• Small animals: Call the Animal Services Hotline – 805-681-4332
• City of Santa Barbara website at www.SantaBarbaraCA.gov
• County of Santa Barbara website at www.CountyofSB.org.
• CityTV Channel 18
• County of Santa Barbara TV Channel 20
• KEYT-TV Channel 3
• FM: KCSB-91.9; KSYV-96.7; KTYD-99.9; KSBL-101.7; KRAZ-105.9
• AM: KTMS-990; KZSB-1290; KUHL-1410; KINF-1440
• Spanish language FM stations KSPE-94.5 and KIST-107.7